AMENDMENT OF THE GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSION REPORTING REGULATIONS – PROMULGATED 11 SEPTEMBER 2020
The Department of Environment Forestry and Fisheries first published the Draft amendments of the National GHG emission reporting regulations on 6 September 2019.
This version includes the finalised version that was promulgated on 11 September 2020. The most significant changes to note are the following:
- The changes introduce and give effect to the Technical Guidelines for Validation and Verification of GHG Emissions published on 24 August 2020.
- These technical guidelines describe the process that must be followed to verify the GHG emissions data and submissions made by Data Providers in terms of the National Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Regulations, 2017.
- The legislation refer to using “a latest version of Methodological guidelines for quantification of GHG emissions”. This implies that the Technical Guidelines are expected to be replaced with new guidelines for calculations of GHG emissions.
- In addition, the changes provide for registration of a group of standby generators – including a template that can be completed for the registration.
- Some amendments have been made to activity codes and thresholds.
Should you have any questions or queries, please feel free to contact Zelda Burchell:
+27 11 568 3341
+27 82 410 0750